Electricity is all around us. Learning how to properly use electricity when charging your phone or other electronics can help you avoid painful injuries and keep the devices in working order
Home Heating Fire Prevention Tips. Heating equipment caused an estimated 50,500 home fires and 500 deaths between 2013 and 2017 according to the National Fire Protection Association. Learn how to stay safe with these tips.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from heat sources
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn off when leaving a room or sleeping
- Never plug a space heater into an extension cord
- Never use a cooking stove to heat your home or dry clothes
- Space heaters on level, flat surfaces on the ground
- Have a qualified service professional inspect your heating system annually
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms
- Never use a space heater or any appliance with a damaged cord
Back to School Safety
- Do not play on or around utility poles or power lines; you can get hurt!
- Stay away from green box transformers or other electrical equipment; you can get shocked!
- Never insert anything other than an electrical plug into an electrical outlet. You can damage your home and hurt yourself if you do!
- Stay away from power stations and substations.
- Make sure your kitchen and bathrooms have GFCI protected outlets
- Unplug appliances when not in use
- Never leave cooking or appliances unattended
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms and never disable a smoke alarm when cooking
Learn How to Test Safety Outlets
- Plug in a nightlight to the outlet you’re testing
- Press test, the light should turn off
- Press reset, the light should turn back on
- If light does not turn on, have a qualified electrician inspect the outlet